This is not a topic about which I was ready to speak. I have thought about it for several months now. It likely won’t be received with much enthusiasm. I take no pleasure in bringing the topic up. But Speaker of the House of Representatives, Congress Woman from San Francisco, Nancy Pelosi, has put the topic on the table.
Here is what Nancy Pelosi said about the recent hurricanes and out of control fire disasters in California, Washington and Oregon. “Mother earth is angry. She’s telling us the hurricanes in the Gulf Coast, the fires in the west (whatever it is) that climate crisis is real and has an impact.”
But could it be that it is the Sovereign God of the Bible that is the one who is angry? And it would not be about a “climate crisis.” Consider also the worldwide COVID pandemic, economic upheaval, rioting, violence and unchecked crime in the streets of our major cities? All these kinds of disasters have intensified dramatically. Might God be trying to tell to us something?
HOW GOD MIGHT VIEW OUR WORLD
America has long since left her spiritual roots. She has drifted far from her godly heritage. BUT REALLY, has she drifted that far? Well, let me ask, how should God view abortion on demand in America, or rampant and open homosexuality? How should God view no mention of Him in the classrooms of America, or prayer? How should God understand the political correctness that no longer tolerates a Christian witness in the market place? What might God be thinking of corrupt leadership in government and corporate America? What might God’s heart be regarding the failed family unit in our world? Is God trying to tell us something?
We are living in perilous times and subject to perilous men. Hear the words of the apostle Paul in Second Timothy 3:3-9:
1) You should know this, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2) For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3) They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4) They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5) They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!
6) They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. 7) They are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth. 8) These teachers oppose the truth just as [those who] opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith. 9) But they won’t get away with this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they have been. (NLT)
What must the sentry on the watch do? It is not my role to condemn or judge. It is my task to just simply sound an alarm; ask the question. What the apostle Paul says in Second Timothy sounds perilously like our world today.
QUESTIONS TO CONTEMPLATE
Here is a question for us to contemplate: If God was angry at America, what might it look like? If God were to remove his hand of blessing from America, what might that look like? Might it look a lot like the disasters we are witnessing today? I’m just asking.
We may also ask, where is the voice of the church in the midst of these disasters? Where are the calls for prayer to an almighty God to intervene? Where are the ministers and Christians in the cities, calling for peace and putting their lives in God’s service to work for peace and bring people together around the Gospel of Christ?
I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE INTERCESSORS WORLDWIDE working overtime in prayer. They are offering up mighty intercessions for America and other nations around the world. I have myself participated in many of these calls to prayer. What I am saying is this. Where are the days when pastors, prominent leaders, government officials and even news castors were standing up and calling for prayers that God might intervene? Their voices are nowhere to be heard. What does that mean for America?
WHAT IS GOD TELLING ME?
The single greatest need of America is revival and spiritual awakening. America and many of America’s churches have drifted far away from God. Many Americans openly oppose the name of Jesus. While there is still time, the church and America must repent and return to a humble and godly reverence [respect] for a sovereign and compassionate God.
What is God saying to me? 2 Timothy 4:1-5 tells me more. It’s not to late to turn back to the God of the Bible.
1) I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he comes to set up his Kingdom: 2) Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
3) For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. 4) They will reject the truth and chase after myths.
5) But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.
WE ARE LIVING IN THE LAST DAYS.
THIS IS MY MANDATE, MY MARCHING ORDERS:
Be watchful [and pray].
Be ready to endure any affliction
Keep telling the Good News of Jesus
Carry out the ministry call of God
WHAT SAY YOU?